Saturday, March 6, 2010

A ZOO, of course


The hypnotic chorus of “......he must have lost a book” continued repeating ~ until it tired, and gave its final breath as a silence that naked trees danced to..... in still motion.
It was to those trees I awoke from that dream.
In varying degrees, dreams, which conjure themselves from rich memories mixed in secret laboratories of the mind, become part of everyday life.
I found that in pursuing the most fantastic of dreams, it is of greatest importance to cover my butt.

D r I f t

As a short-term goal – something we can accomplish by the end of this school year, what would be your dream idea for our class project. I asked my seniors at Koforidua Secondary School in the Fall of 1970. I was quickly overwhelmed with enthusiastic suggestions. In no time at all, however, a fever pitched winner evolved in a unanimous uproar: a ZOO. Instantaneously, I roared back approval – a Zoo, it shall be.
From where would any possible hesitancy come?
That I had lacked the background, training, education, experience in such matters didn't give me any pause........... whatsoever.
I did get my only “D” in seven or so years of college in Zoology, but that was a passing grade. Adding to that, my family had a Cocker-spaniel when I was growing up (that just disappeared one day, and another Terrier-type dog appeared as our new dog – and I never thought about that until now) …....and.............I had (more or less) over a hundred ant killings to my curricula vitae.
**apologies to my dear friend, Steph – actually, Steph, it would be best if you did not read the next paragraph
Then there were untallied scores of fly smashings, spider smearings {under a foot well protected by shoe} and cockroach crunching [unfortunately, I am unable to certify the events just south of Mobile, Alabama, in which I torched an old boat cushion full of those orthopterous pests single handed]
Thus, with those sterling credentials, I boldly said “.....if you find any animals, just bring them to me – and tell everyone that”.

............................everyone..........................

to be continued...

Join Captain Flip Side in his true life adventures, every Sunday!

Happy daze,

The Captain
 

No comments:

Post a Comment